Recently a genealogy blogging colleague admired another blogger’s sidebar item and wanted to replicate it but didn’t know where to start. If your blog uses the Blogger platform, it is easy to think that there is a gadget for everything – sort of like “there’s an app for that!”
The admired item was the Indexes listing at Apple’s Tree where she has posted links to various items including ahnentafels. Setting up this type of “link list” in Blogger is much easier than it looks. Here’s how:
- You must already have your ahnentafels, indices or other links available as posts in your blog. Open them in separate tabs or copy and paste them into a text file for reference during this process.
- Log into Blogger. Click on Layout and then click Add A Gadget on the sidebar.
- The Add A Gadget dialog appears.
- Scroll down and locate Link List and click the plus sign next to it.
- Enter a title in the Title field and then paste your first link in the New Site URL field. Click Add Link.
- Continue adding links as needed. You may also edit and change the order of links once they are added.
- Click Save. Click View Blog. The new list of links will appear in your blog’s sidebar.
© 2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee