In cooperation with Touchstone Books/Simon and Schuster, we are pleased to announce the Shaking The Family Tree contest!
Here’s a description of Shaking the Family Tree – Blue Bloods, Black Sheep, and Other Obsessions of an Accidental Genealogist from the Simon and Schuster website:
As a historian, Buzzy Jackson thought she knew the answers to these simple questions—that is, until she took a look at her scrawny family tree. With a name like Jackson (the twentieth most common American surname), she knew she must have more relatives and more family history out there, somewhere. Her first visit to the Boulder Genealogy Society brought her more questions than answers . . . but it also gave her a tantalizing peek into the fascinating (and enormous) community of family-tree huggers and after-hours Alex Haleys.
In Shaking the Family Tree, Jackson dives headfirst into her family gene pool: flying cross-country to locate an ancient family graveyard, embarking on a weeklong genealogy Caribbean cruise, and even submitting her DNA for testing to try to find her Jacksons. And in the process of researching her own family lore (Who was Bullwhip Jackson?) she meets legions of other genealogy buffs who are as interesting as they are driven—from the boy who saved his allowance so he could order his great-grandfather’s death certificate to the woman who spends her free time documenting the cemeteries of Colorado ghost towns.
Through Jackson’s research she connects with distant relatives, traces her roots back more than 250 years and in the process comes to discover—genetically, historically, and emotionally—the true meaning of “family” for herself.
How To Participate In This Contest
All you need to do is:
- Read the review posted here at GeneaBloggers
- In the Comments section of the review, answer this question: “How would you describe genealogy to someone who doesn’t understand your passion for family history?“
- Leave your comment between Monday, September 13, 2010 and 12:00 pm Central Daylight Time (CDT) Friday, September 17, 2010.
- You must provide a valid e-mail address so we can contact you in case you win.
- This contest is only open to United States residents with a valid US-based mailing address.
- One winner will be drawn at random from the eligible comments on Friday, September 17, 2010. The winner will be contacted via email. Once contact is confirmed, a copy of Shaking the Family Tree will be mailed to the winner.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS CONTEST
- TERM: The Shaking the Family Tree Contest will run from Monday, September 13, 2010 through 12:00 pm Friday, September 17, 2010, Central Daylight Time (CDT).
- PRIZE: A free copy of the Simon and Schuster book Shaking the Family Tree by Buzzy Jackson. Value = $14.99 US.
- ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning will be determined by the number of entries received. One winner will be drawn at random.
- DISCLAIMER: GeneaBloggers is not responsible for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects in part or whole, delays in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for any technical or non-technical network, telephonic, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate or partial transmission of or failure to receive entry information by GeneaBloggers on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, at any web site or any combination thereof. GeneaBloggers is not responsible for any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any materials in the Shaking the Family Tree Contest.
- DISQUALIFICATION: Your entry will be disqualified if a) your comment does not answer the question “How would you describe genealogy to someone who doesn’t understand your passion for family history?“; b) you do not leave a valid e-mail address in the comment; and/or c) you are not a resident of the United States with a valid US-based mailing address.
- SELECTION OF WINNER: A winner will be selected in an electronically randomized manner on September 17, 2010, for the Shaking the Family Tree Contest. The winner will be notified on the day of the drawing, and will have 96 hours to contact GeneaBloggers regarding their prize. Return of any prize or prize notification as “undeliverable” will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected.
- NOTIFICATION: Prize winner will be notified by e-mail sent to the e-mail address left in the comments of this post. GeneaBloggers is under no obligation to notify winner by any means other than e-mail. GeneaBloggers is not responsible for notifications that are misdirected or not received because of e-mail addresses or mailing addresses that are no longer correct. If a potential winner cannot be reached after a reasonable effort has been made during 3 business days from the first notification attempt, such person may be disqualified, with an alternate winner selected. Any prize notification or prize returned as undeliverable will result in the awarding of that prize to an alternate winner.
- REDEMPTION: GeneaBloggers will deliver the prize as follows: Once a prize winner responds to the notification from GeneaBloggers, a copy of the book Shaking the Family Tree will be mailed to the winner.
- CONDITIONS: By participating in the Shaking the Family Tree contest, you agree to release and hold GeneaBloggers and Thomas MacEntee, and all prize suppliers harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the Shaking the Family Tree contest or any product purchased, or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, including, without limitation, personal injuries, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by you or a third party. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of GeneaBloggers and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Shaking the Family Tree contest or these Contest Rules. All decisions regarding the Shaking the Family Tree contest, including, but not limited to, selecting winners, will be made by GeneaBloggers, whose decisions shall be final. Winners are individually responsible for all applicable taxes.
©2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee