Last month, over at The Genealogy Do-Over Group on Facebook, I mentioned that I’ve been working on a new book about The Genealogy Do-Over. My goal is to create a “workbook” – in both print and digital format – that can be used by both individuals and genealogical societies to take on the “do over” challenge.
My original goal was to have said book – The Genealogy Do-Over Workbook – ready by Cycle 4 which begins tomorrow, October 2nd, 2015. Before you get your hopes up, let me tell you that there won’t be any new book available on Amazon tomorrow. And here’s why . . .
The Genealogy Do-Over: Looking Ahead to 2016
I’ve been overwhelmed with the success of the entire Genealogy Do-Over concept, from the Facebook group with close to 10,000 members, to the weekly emails, etc. Many participants have taken the time to provide valuable feedback on the Genealogy Do-Over and as I’ve reviewed and processed the feedback, I’ve come to these decisions about both the workbook and the Genealogy Do-Over’s future:
- Yes, the Genealogy Do-Over will continue in 2016 starting on January 1st.
- The new format will be 12 months with one entire cycle for the year. In 2015, we’ve had four cycles of 13 weeks each and many participants felt that the pace was much too fast.
- Several genealogical societies have set up Genealogy Do-Over special interest groups (SIGs) where they tackle one set of topics each month. Several other societies have also expressed an interest in sharing the Genealogy Do-Over with their members, but a 13-week program just isn’t workable.
- The workbook will be based on a 12-month cycle which means I’ll need to tweak the current arrangement of topics.
- My goal is to have The Genealogy Do-Over Workbook available by mid-November 2015 in both digital and print format.
I appreciate your patience with this project and I am committed to providing an excellent publication for Genealogy Do-Over participants. Feel free to send me your ideas and list of “must have” items to email@example.com.
©2015, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.