Here is a list of events, memes and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging and what’s happening in the coming week:
- On Wednesday, September 30, 2009, Walking The Berkshires celebrates its 4th anniversary! If you haven’t check out this great blog yet please stop by and tell Tim Abbott congratulations.
The next Scanfest will be held Sunday, September 27, 2009. If you’ve never been to a Scanfest you don’t know what fun you are missing. Scanning your old photos and documents should never be so much fun! It takes place from 11am – 2pm Pacific Daylight Time (1pm – 4pm Central Daylight Time) and you can get more information here.
Data Backup Day
Thursday, October 1, 2009 is Data Backup Day. Have you backed up your genealogy research data lately? What are you waiting for, a major data loss disaster to strike? The first day of each month has been designated as Data Backup Day and all genealogists are urged to backup their files.
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The Graveyard Rabbits Carnival has set a deadline for submissions for its 7th Edition. The deadline is Friday, September 25, 2009 and the theme is funeral cards.
- The 81st Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is accepting submissions through Thursday, October 1, 2009. The theme this time is very unique: Your Genealogy Blog’s Obituary (write as if your blog were deleted or lost . . .). The carnival will be hosted by Schelly Dardashti of Tracing The Tribe: The Jewish Genealogy Blog and you can submit your entries here.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- September 26, 2009 – American-Canadian Genealogical Society will hold its annual Fall conference in Manchester, NH.
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at email@example.com.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
- Saturday, September 26, 2009 – Lucie LeBlanc Cosnentino, of Acadian Ancestral Home, is appearing in Manchester, NH at the American-Canadian Genealogical Society annual Fall conference. Lucie will be presenting Acadian History & Genealogy.
- Saturday, September 26, 2009 – Angela Y. Walton-Raji, of African Roots Podcast, is appearing in Washington, DC at the National Museum of the American Indian. Angela will be presenting Blended Families. African & Native American Family Genealogy.
- Sunday, September 27, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Chicago Family History Center in Chicago, IL at 7:00 p.m. Jean will be presenting To Zion in Song: Music of the Mormon Pioneers.
- Monday, September 28, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Van Buren Regional Genealogical Society in Decatur, MI at 7:00 p.m. Jean will be presenting Breaking the Ties That Bind.
- Thursday, October 1, 2009 – Thomas MacEntee, of GeneaBloggers, is appearing at the Cook Memorial Library in Libertyville, IL at 7:00 p.m. Thomas will be presenting Social Networking for Genealogists.
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 702 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. A Genealogy Web Ring has been proposed – check out the Discussion Board here. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #39: Did your ancestors come by boat? Talk about the documentation that records their departure and arrival.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we have Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and Treasure Chest Thursday as daily blogging themes! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee