Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
Cast Your Vote for the 40 Best Genealogy Blogs
Data Backup Day – November 1, 2009
This Sunday, November 1, 2009 is a very special Data Backup Day – enter your post in the Data Backup Day Contest and our could win a copy of Handy Backup from Novosoft LLC! Simple create a post at your blog about how you backup your data (or how you should be backing up your data) and place a link to the post in the comments of this post. You could be a winner!
Have you backed up your genealogy research data lately? What are you waiting for, a major data loss disaster to strike? The first day of each month has been designated as Data Backup Day and all genealogists are urged to backup their files.
Well just a note to say that all the blogiversaries are dominated by great blogs that are part of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits – just take a look!
- The Graveyard Rabbit of Grey County Ontario celebrates its 1st anniversary today, Friday, October 30, 2009. Congratulations Janet!
- Another Graveyard Rabbit celebrates a 1st birthday – this time it’s The Graveyard Rabbit of the California Central Coast on Saturday, October 31, 2009. Stop by and say hello to Elizabeth and send your best wishes.
- Finding Our Ancestors celebrates its 2nd anniversary on Monday, November 2nd. Terri O’Connell has done a great job with her blog – take a look!
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 83rd Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy – the theme being Musical Instruments – is accepting submissions through Sunday, November 1, 2009. The edition will be posted at Janet The Researcher later in the week.
- You can submit your story of an Irishman or Irishwoman within your family tree at the 16th Edition of the Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture. The deadline is Sunday, November 1, 2009 and the carnival will appear at Small-leaved Shamrock on November 4, 2009.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- Family History Expos begins its Family History Library Research Retreat being held Monday, October 26 through Saturday, October 31, in Salt Lake City, UT.
- The International Black Genealogy Summit is being held beginning Thursday, October 29 through Saturday, October 31, 2009 in Ft. Wayne, IN.
- The Texas State Genealogical Society Conference takes place beginning Friday, November 6, 2009 through Saturday, November 7, 2009 in San Antonio, TX.
- The Western Michigan Genealogical Society holds it’s 55th Anniversary Conference in Grand Rapids, MI beginning Friday, November 6, 2009 through Saturday, November 7, 2009.
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at email@example.com.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
Can you tell that October is Family History Month? Take a look at all the genealogy bloggers making appearances around the country this coming week!
- Friday, October 30, 2009 – Angela Y. Walton-Raji, of African Roots Podcast, is appearing in Ft. Wayne, IN at the International Black Genealogy Summit. Angela will be presenting Avoiding Pitfalls in Native American Research at 10:00 am.
- Saturday, October 30, 2009 – Drusilla Pair, of Find Your Folks blog, is appearing in Ft. Wayne, IN at the International Black Genealogy Summit. Drusilla will be presenting The Power of Blogging at 1:00 pm.
- Saturday, October 31, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Ridgecrest Genealogical Society in Ridgecrest, CA. Jean will be presenting Deliveries in the Rear, Erin Go Bragh, Federal Census Records, and Mob Action.
- Monday, November 2, 2009 – Karen Packard Rhodes, of Karen About Genealogy, will appear at the Clay County Public Library in Orange Park, FL. Karen will be presenting Our Black Sheep Ancestors: How To Approach Them.
- Wednesday, November 4, 2009 – Jack Simpson, of Basics of Genealogy Reference, is appearing at the Michigan Library Association Annual Conference in Lansing, MI. Jack will be presenting Hyper-Local History (2:30 pm) and Surviving a Genealogy Reference Interview (3:45 pm).
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 749 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. In case you haven’t checked in at Facebook lately, check out the new look of the group page – complete with its own Wall for posting links to your blog posts, photos and more. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #44: Dig around the patent office. Talk about your creative ancestors and their inventions. You can also pick a patent and research the registrant.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we just added two new daily blogging themes – Follow Friday and Surname Saturday. Along with Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and Treasure Chest Thursday these prompt can help you come up with ideas each day of the week for blog posts! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee