Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
Remembrance Day/Veterans Day
Don’t forget that Wednesday, November 11, 2009 is a day set aside for our veterans – take time to research those ancestors who have served their country and post about them on your blog. GeneaBloggers will provide a special roll-up post listing all those posts from GeneaBloggers member blogs.
- The Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture has its own blog which turns 2 years old on Friday, November 2nd. Congratulations Lisa!
- A very happy 2nd blogiversary on Tuesday, November 10, 2009, to one of our far flung bloggers, Laila Christiansen who hails from Norway! Her blog is Slekt og slikt! and has a mix of posts in both English and Norwegian.
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 18th Edition of Smile for the Camera is accepting submissions through Tuesday, November 10, 2009. The theme is “travel” and is hosted by Shades of the Departed.
- The deadline for the 23rd Edition of the Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy has been extended to Sunday, November 15, 2009. The theme is “Tips, Tricks, Websites,…. for researching Central and Eastern European Genealogy,” and Al’s Polish-American Genealogy Research will be hosting.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- The Texas State Genealogical Society Conference takes place beginning Friday, November 6, 2009 through Saturday, November 7, 2009 in San Antonio, TX.
- The Western Michigan Genealogical Society holds it’s 55th Anniversary Conference in Grand Rapids, MI beginning Friday, November 6, 2009 through Saturday, November 7, 2009.
- The Florida State Genealogical Society’s 33rd Annual Conference kicks off on Friday, November 13 and runs through Saturday, November 14, 2009 in Melbourne, FL.
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at email@example.com.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
Can you tell that October is Family History Month? Take a look at all the genealogy bloggers making appearances around the country this coming week!
- Friday, November 6, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Corona Genealogical Society in Corona, CA. Jean will be teaching Family History Centers & FamilySearch class (3:00 pm).
- Saturday, November 7, 2009 – George Morgan, of The Genealogy Guys, is appearing in Grand Rapids, MI at the Western Michigan Genealogical Society’s Annual Seminar. George will be presenting The Genealogist as CSI (9:30 am), Bring ‘em Back to Life: Developing an Ancestor Profile (11:15 am), Planning a Very Successful Genealogical Research Trip (1:30 pm) and The Genealogy Guys PODCAST Live (3:15 pm).
- Saturday, November 7, 2009 – Drew Smith, of The Genealogy Guys, is appearing in Grand Rapids, MI at the Western Michigan Genealogical Society’s Annual Seminar. George will be presenting The Family History in your Cells: Using DNA for Genealogical Research (9:30 am), Dear Genealogy Diary: Today I Made a Great Discovery (11:15 am), Kicking the Tires of Popular Genealogy Software (1:30 pm) and The Genealogy Guys PODCAST Live (3:15 pm).
- Saturday, November 7, 2009 – Miriam Robbins Midkiff, of AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors, is appearing in Spokane, WA at the Eastern Washington Genealogical Society General Meeting. Miriam will be presenting The Internet as Your Genealogy Backup Tool at 2:30 pm.
- Saturday, November 7, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Redlands Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Redlands, CA. Jean will be presenting Ancestors as Heroes [keynote], Elisabeth, Arriving in the New World, and Research & Results for Beginners (throughout the day).
- Saturday, November 7, 2009 – Gena Philibert Ortega, of Gena’s Genealogy, is appearing at the Redlands Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Redlands, CA. Gena will be presenting American Church Records and Using Maps (throughout the day).
- Monday, November 9, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Saint Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church in Carlsbad, CA. Jean will be presenting Ancestors as Heroes.
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 758 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. In case you haven’t checked in at Facebook lately, check out the new look of the group page – complete with its own Wall for posting links to your blog posts, photos and more. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #45: Extra, read all about it! Do you have an ancestor featured in a newspaper article that wasn’t an obituary? Share the article (or a bit of it if there are copyright concerns) on your blog.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we just added two new daily blogging themes – Follow Friday and Surname Saturday. Along with Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and Treasure Chest Thursday these prompt can help you come up with ideas each day of the week for blog posts! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee