Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
There are usually lots of blog anniversaries in early January since many people set New Year’s resolutions to start a genealogy blog.
- Grey County Historical Society blog celebrates its first blogiversary on Friday, 5 February 2010! Check out this great Canadian genealogy society blog and tell them you said hello!
- Twig In My Tree celebrates its first blogiversary on Monday, 8 February 2010! Stop by and say hello to Alana!
- Olive Tree Genealogy Blog celebrates 7 years on Tuesday, 9 February 2010! Lorine has done a great job with her blog – check it out!
- Taneya’s Genealogy Blog celebrates 4 years on Tuesday, 9 February 2010! Check out Taneya’s new look on her site!
- Talking Roots has its first blogiversary on Tuesday, 9 February 2010 as well. Deason Hunt has done great work with his blog – stop by and take a look!
GeneaBlogger 2010 Winter Games
With the approaching “winter event” in Vancouver, Canada, we’ve decided to host a new version of the games – the GeneaBlogger 2010 Winter Games.
Again, like all GeneaBlogger activities there is no pressure or requirement that you participate – this is a spectator sport as much as anything! Stay tuned for the start of the games on Friday, 12 February 2010 when we host the Opening Ceremonies!
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 20th Edition of Smile For The Camera at Shades of the Departed is accepting submissions through Wednesday, 10 February 2010. The theme is “Valentine.” Love is in the air, so celebrate with Smile by sharing a photograph of a Valentine; be that person or paper. The interpretation of Valentine is yours.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at email@example.com.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we have broken the 900 member barrier are now at 906 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. There is a great discussion concerning Yahoo Groups related to genealogy – check it out! If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
52 Weeks To Better Genealogy
Amy Coffin of the fabulous We Tree blog, has done it again. Last year, Amy developed a series of 52 Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompts which kept folks very busy and forced them to look at many different aspects of their genealogy.
Now Amy brings us 52 Weeks To Better Genealogy: a series of weekly prompts that are a bit more challenging and are geared towards those new to the field of genealogy and family history as well as those who want to brush up on some skills which might be a bit rusty.
- Week 6: Online databases at your public library. Search your library’s web site and see if your card grants you access to online databases. Libraries (even small ones) often have wonderful online tools including genealogy databases, historical newspapers and more! Take some time and play with these little perks that come with a library card. You just may get some help in your own genealogy research and gain some free research tools to boot. If you don’t know how to access online library databases or you’re not sure if your branch has them, ask a librarian for guidance. If you have a blog, discuss which databases (if any) to which your library subscribes.
We’ll list a new challenge each Saturday which should be completed by the following Friday.
And remember – as Amy says – these should be fun exercises! Don’t feel that you have to participate each week, nor should you beat yourself up if you miss one or more challenges. We all have so much that we want to accomplish – let alone what we want to accomplish with our genealogy blogs. This series should be one which, by the end of 2010, helps you to be a better genealogist.
Check out Sentimental Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday,Wordless Wednesday, Treasure Chest Thursday, Follow Fridayand Surname Saturday which can help you come up with ideas each day of the week for blog posts! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2010 copyright, Thomas MacEntee