Here is a list of events, memes and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging and what’s happening in the coming week:
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 22nd Edition of the Carnival of Central and Eastern European Genealogy which will be hosted by Al Wierzba of Al’s Polish Genealogy Research Blog. The deadline is Saturday, August 8, 2009 and the theme is a great one: roadblocks and breakthroughs you’ve made in your genealogy research. Entries can be sent via email to Al at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 16th Edition of Smile for the Camera at Shades of the Departed is accepting entries through Monday, August 10, 2009. The theme for this edition is “Bling. ancestor Bling.” Submit entries at the blog carnival page or by sending them via email to footnotemaven at comcast dot net.
Reminder that NEHGS is moving NewEnglandAncestors.org to a new datacenter. The website will be down on Monday, August 10, 2009, from 7:00 A.M. (EST) to 5:00 P.M. (EST).
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- August 7 – 8, 2009 – PGSCTNE 2009 Polish Genealogy Conference. This is the 25th Anniversary conference sponsored by the Polish Genealogical Society of Connecticut and the Northeast, Inc. and it will be held in New Britain, CT on Friday, August 7th and Saturday, August 8th, 2009. See the conference website and more information and if you go, say hello to fellow genealogy bloggers Lisa Alzo and Steve Danko (see below for their speaking appearances)!
- August 7 – 8, 2009 – 2009 MOSGA Genealogy Conference. The Missouri State Genealogical Association presents its annual conference in Jefferson City, MO on Friday, August 7th and Saturday, August 8th with featured speaker Julie Miller, CGSM. Get more information at the conference page.
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at email@example.com.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
- Friday, August 7, 2009 – Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist blog, is appearing in New Britain, CT at the PGSCTNE 2009 Polish Genealogy Conference. Lisa will be presenting Silent Voices: Researching and Writing About Your Female Ancestors.
- Friday, August 7, 2009 – Steve Danko, of Steve’s Genealogy Blog, is also appearing in New Britain, CT at the PGSCTNE 2009 Polish Genealogy Conference. Steve will be presenting Polish Court Records.
- Saturday, August 8, 2009 – Steve Danko, of Steve’s Genealogy Blog, is also appearing in New Britain, CT at the PGSCTNE 2009 Polish Genealogy Conference. Steve will be presenting Genealogy and the Changing Map of Europe.
- Saturday, August 8, 2009 – Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist blog, is appearing in New Britain, CT at the PGSCTNE 2009 Polish Genealogy Conference. Lisa will be presenting Slovak Land or No Man’s Land: Finding Your Slovak and Rusyn Roots.
- Wednesday, August 12, 2009 – Miriam Robbins Midkiff, of AnceStories: The Stories of My Ancestors blog, is appearing in Richland, WA at the Tri-City Genealogical Society at 7:00 pm PDT. Miriam will be presenting Frugal Genealogy, or How Not to Spend a Fortune on Your Family Tree.
- Thursday, August 13, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibbens, of Circlemending, is appearing at the Corona Lions Club in Corona, CA at 12:00 noon PDT. jean will be presenting What’s In It For Me? Why Do Genealogy?
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 656 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. And if you haven’t visited lately, review the latest posts on the Discussion Board including one on Why Genealogists Join Facebook.
If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #32: Update older posts. If you find more information related to a previous post, create an update post. Link to the older posts to refresh readers’ memories, then give us the details on new discoveries.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!Geneabloggers Calendar
Remember we have Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday as regular ongoing memes! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee