Here is a list of events, memes and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging and what’s happening in the coming week:
- Congratulations to Heritage Happens celebrating its first anniversary on Tuesday, August 25, 2009. Stop by for a visit and send your best wishes to Cheryl Palmer.
- On Friday, August 28, 2009, Nordic Blue marks its third anniversary! Take a minute to visit Chery Kinnick’s great site and say hello.
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
- The 6th Edition of the Graveyard Rabbits Carnival is accepting submissions through Tuesday, August 25th. The theme this month is Carousel meaning submissions can be on the topic of your choosing, but must still be related to cemeteries in some way.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
- August 28 – 29, 2009 – Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Holly Hansen and her group have put together what it sure to be a great event! Take a look at not only the class schedule but also at the exhibitors! Located at the South Towne Exposition Center. 9575 South State Street, Sandy, Utah 84070 with plenty of free parking. See the expo website for more information and if you go, say hello to fellow genealogy bloggers Lisa Alzo, Bruce Buzbee, Lisa Louise Cooke, Arlene H. Eakle, Ph.D., Jean Wilcox Hibben, and Janet Hovorka (see below for their speaking appearances)!
- In addition don’t forget that the Family History Expo event will be covered using various forms of social media by its Bloggers of Honor. The list includes Holly T. Hansen (Family History Expos Genealogy Blog), Anastasia Tyler (Ancestry.com Blog), The Ancestry Insider (The Ancestry Insider), Arlene H. Eakle, Ph.D. (Arlene H. Eakle’s Genealogy Blog, Tennessee Genealogy, Virginia Genealogy, Kentucky Genealogy), Gene Philibert Ortega (Gena’s Genealogy and World Vital Records Blog), Jean Wilcox Hibben (Circlemending: Where music and ancestry meet), Lee Drew (FamHist and Lineage Keeper), Lisa Alzo (The Accidental Genealogist), Lisa Louise Cooke (Genealogy Gems News), Renee Huskey (PhotoLoom Blog) and Renee Zamora (Renee’s Genealogy Blog).
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
- Friday, August 21, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing in Coronoa, CA at the Corona Genealogical Society. Jean will be presenting Getting (Genealogy) Information Through The Back Door.
- Saturday, August 22, 2009 – Stephen J. Danko, of Steve’s Genealogy Blog, is appearing in Lakewood, CA at the Polish Genealogical Society of California Summer Seminar. Steve will be presenting Genealogy and the Changing Map of Eastern Europe, A New Look at Immigrant Passenger Manifests, Using DNA and Indirect Evidence to Establish Family Relationships, and Genealogy Blogs: New Ways to Disseminate Genealogy.
- Friday, August 28, 2009 – Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist, is appearing in Salt Lake City, UT at the Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Lisa will be presenting Demystifying Eastern European Research (10:00 am).
- Friday, August 28, 2009 – Bruce Buzbee, of RootsMagic Blog, is appearing in Salt Lake City, UT at the Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Bruce will be presenting The New FamilySearch Made Easy with RootsMagic 4 (11:30 am).
- Friday, August 28, 2009 – Lisa Louise Cook, of Genealogy Gems Podcast, is appearing in Salt Lake City, UT at the Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Lisa will be presenting Google: A Goldmine of Genealogy Gems Part 1 (10:00 am), and Google: A Goldmine of Genealogy Gems Part 2 (11:30 am).
- Friday, August 28, 2009 – Arlene H. Eakle, Ph.D., of Arlene H. Eakle’s Genealogy Blog, is appearing in Salt Lake City, UT at the Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Arlene will be presenting Virginia Genealogy, Part I: Virginia Jurisdictions and Genealogical Research: A Preliminary Checklist (1:30 pm) and Virginia Genealogy, Part II: What Is New and What Research Strategies Work (3:00pm).
- Friday, August 28, 2009 – Jean Wilcox Hibben, of Circlemending, is appearing in Salt Lake City, UT at the Family History Expo 2009 – Salt Lake City. Jean will be presenting Yes You Can! Do Genealogy in Spite of a Learning Disability (10:00 am) and Genealogy on Wheels: Doing Family History Research in an RV (4:30 pm).
Geneabloggers Group on Facebook
Great news – we are now at 658 members over at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt
Check out Weekly Genealogy Blogging Prompt #34: Talk about an orphan picture containing people you do not know. Provide comments on your best guess about date, place, subjects.
Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree for the inspiration!
Remember we have Black Sheep Sunday, Madness Monday, Tombstone Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and now Treasure Chest Thursday as daily blogging themes! And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2009 copyright, Thomas MacEntee