In 2011, 2012, and 2013, I produced a weeklong series of articles related to the business side of genealogy called Genea-Opportunities right here at GeneaBloggers and at Hack Genealogy. This series has attracted quite a bit of attention and I have decided to revive the series in 2015 over at the GenBiz Solutions website.
Here are the links to the previous series:
Genealogy Opportunities 2015 Topics
As in previous years, I hope you will join me and other members of the genealogy community in having important conversations about the professional side of genealogy and including a wide spectrum of opinions.
Instead of appearing at GeneaBloggers as they have in the past, all posts will appear at GenBiz Solutions, my new site focusing on starting your own genealogy business. Leave your comments in the posts or post at your own blog and cross-reference the posts at GenBiz Solutions. I would also love to see the conversation picked up in various genealogy mailing lists and groups on social media – let’s use hashtag #genbiz on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
- Monday, 27 July 2015: Genealogy – For Fun or Profit? – The focus will be on the different types of genealogy businesses and how you can start your own genealogy business.
- Tuesday, 28 July 2015: Careers in Genealogy – A look at “traditional” and “unorthodox” genealogy careers with a focus on some genealogists who are thinking “outside the genealogy box,” to carve out their own career paths.
- Wednesday, 29 July 2015 Genealogy: What Do You Mean It Isn’t Free? – While the perception is that everything should be “free” when it comes to genealogy, in the past three years we have seen phenomenal progress in the willingness of consumers to pay for quality goods and services for genealogists and family historians.
- Thursday, 30 July 2015: How Do You Make Money in Genealogy? – Most of my colleagues and follows have heard me talk about the “abundance model” I have embraced not just for my genealogy business, but also in life. I will be sharing many numbers related to the first half of 2015: hours worked, revenue, expenses, income and what it all means. I will also try to share the secrets to my success: be nice, be abundant, and be open.
- Friday, 31 July 2015: Money Changes Everything – Or Does It? – A recap of the series and I will share my insights on what I have learned so far in 2015.
Stay tuned for an exciting week and I hope you will not just follow along, but participate and share your own insights and thoughts if running a genealogy business is important to you.
©2015, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.