Ancestry.com has announced the creation of a Spread The Word page for the upcoming premiere of Who Do You Think You Are? on Friday, March 5, 2010:
This web page includes simple ideas and tools that everyone can use to help get the word out about this new television show: downloadable flyers, an email to easily forward to friends, even wallpaper for your computer.
Excitement for Who Do You Think You Are? is already mounting. Here’s what people are saying about the show:
- “This is the opportunity of a lifetime for genealogical organizations to advertise themselves and build their membership. This will do for genealogy what Roots did for it in the late 1970s.” — Pat Oxley, President, The Federation of Genealogical Societies
- “Many people are interested in knowing more about their heritage, but have no idea how to begin. I hope Who Do You Think You Are? will encourage people to move from interest to action and take advantage of the many resources available.” —Janet A. Alpert, President, National Genealogical Society
- “Everyone has a story to tell—everyone has a history to discover! Now, Who Do You Think You Are? brings real family stories to life, enticing and encouraging all of us to do the same. ” —Curt B Witcher, Senior Manager of Special Collections, Allen County Public Library
Who Do You Think You Are? is a golden opportunity to introduce your family and friends to family history and to show people how to successfully research their heritage. Ancestry.com partnered with NBC on this show for the same reasons – because Who Do You Think You Are? inspires people to begin searching for their own roots and presents new opportunities for the entire genealogy community.
Here are some quick ideas to let your friends and family know about the show – which premieres Friday, March 5 at 8/7c:
- Share the Who Do You Think You Are? trailer. Consider posting a link to one of the Who Do You Think You Are? trailers on your Facebook page, Twitter account, or personal website. Email the trailer to your friends, family and co-workers – in fact the pass-along email mentioned above includes a video with the trailer and Lisa Kudrow talking about what prompted her to produce the series.
- Host a Who Do You Think You Are? premiere party on Friday, March 5, 2010. Invite family, friends, members of your genealogy society, and anyone else to enjoy the show at your home or even the headquarters of your local genealogy society. Thomas MacEntee of GeneaBloggers provided some great tips on hosting a viewing party. You can view those tips here: http://www.geneabloggers.com/plan-wdytya-viewing-party
So spread the word – and don’t for get to tune in to NBC on Fridays beginning March 5 at 8/7c.
© 2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee