This week’s topic for Open Thread Thursday is:
Last week’s RootsTech was an outstanding success on many levels based on blog posts, social media chatter and other feedback circulating on the Internets.
Whether you attended in person, watched the live streaming from home, followed the blog posts and tweets, or just downloaded videos and syllabus material, what did you think of RootsTech? If possible, let us know your thoughts about:
1. Did RootsTech live up to your expectations or the hype, especially if you were a first time attendee (in person or online)?
2. If you “played along at home” via the RootsTech website, how was the quality of the content? Were there any technical problems in watching the live stream? Are video clips and handouts easy to find?
3. What about the mix of genealogy and technology? Was it too “techie” or perhaps not enough tech?
4. If you attended in person, anything about the logistics or the facilities that you would change? Does RootsTech need a larger section of the Salt Palace Convention Center next year?
5. If you were King or Queen of RootsTech and planning for 2013, what would you do differently?
6. What would your elevator speech be for RootsTech if someone unfamiliar with the event were to ask you “What’s RootsTech?”
You can read all the latest RootsTech posts from members of GeneaBloggers here.
Post your responses in the comments or at a post on your own genealogy blog and place the link here in the comments.
* * *
RootsTech: The Disneyland of Genealogy
Rather than go into detail here in the Open Thread Thursday post, please see RootsTech 2012 Review: My Perspective for my detailed review of this year’s RootsTech.
But here is one observation:
RootsTech is like the Disneyland of Genealogy for me: the happiest place on earth. Everyone has an E ticket. Everyone loves the rides.
Actually, and don’t laugh, RootsTech is my idea of what heaven will be for me and hopefully other genealogists: a place where I can be with my genealogy family – learning, sharing, and collaborating – forever.
This is a great topic for this week’s Open Thread Thursday! And please, if you have a topic you’d like to see discussed among your genealogy blogging colleagues, please contact us and we’ll take it under consideration.
©2012, copyright Thomas MacEntee