Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
Who Do You Think You Are? Season 2
Don’t forget to tune in to Who Do You Think You Are? tonight, Friday, March 18, 2011 at 8:00pm EST/ 7:00 pm CST on NBC. Tonight’s episode is an encore presentation of the Rosie O’Donnell episode originally broadcast on Friday, February 18, 2011.
Another episode of GeneaBloggers Radio will be broadcast this evening, Friday, March 18, 2011 starting at 10PM EST, 9PM CST, 8PM MST and 7PM PST! The two hour show will feature special guest Brian Mitchell of the Genealogy Centre in Derry, Ireland who will join us live from Dublin to help us discuss Irish genealogy and tracing your Irish roots. In addition we will be talking to scheduled guests Sharon Sergeant, Mary Ellen Grogan, Jennifer Geraghty-Gorman, Deborah Large Fox and blogger Smallest Leaf. For details on how you can listen and even use the chat room, click here.
Daze of the Week!
Some of you may or may have not noticed that in each Genealogy Blogging Beat we now feature national holidays and some of the more offbeat holidays. Here are some dates next week to look out for so you can plan your blog posts for next week:
- March 18: Supreme Sacrifice Day
- March 19: National Quilting Day (US), Perigree Moon, Purim (begins at sundown), St. Joseph’s Day, Swallows Return to San Juan Capistrano, CA, Worm Moon
- March 20: Autumnal Equinox (Southern Hemisphere), Holi (India), Vernal Equinox (Northern Hemisphere), World Storytelling Day
- Week of March 20 – March 25: American Chocolate Week, National Agriculture Week (US)
- March 21:Canberra Day (Australia), Fragrance Day, World Down Syndrome Day
- March 22: International Goof Off Day, World Poetry Day
- March 23: Liberty Day (US), National Organize Your Home Office Day (US), National Puppy Day (US)
- March 24: World Tuberculosis Day
- March 25: Annunciation (also known as Lady Day), International Day of Remembrance of The Victims of Slavery and The Transatlantic, Waffle Day (US)
Genealogy Blog Carnivals
Genealogy Webinars This Week
For more information on genealogy webinars check out GeneaWebinars.
Genealogy Conferences This Week
View upcoming genealogy conferences in the United States and across the globe at the group of calendars at GeneaBloggers. If you know of an upcoming expo or conference that should be on the GeneaBloggers conference calendar, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook
We are now at 1,505 members this week at GeneaBloggers Group on Facebook. If you know anyone who blogs about their genealogy or family history and you think they might benefit from membership in Geneabloggers please tell them about our Facebook group!
52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy and History
52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your memories on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.
- Week 12: Movies. Did (or do you still) see many movies? Describe your favorites. Where did you see these films? Is the theater still there, or is there something else in its place?
We’ll list a new challenge each Saturday which should be completed by the following Friday.
And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2011 copyright, Thomas MacEntee