Here is a list of events and goings-on in the world of genealogy blogging. Here’s what is happening in the coming week:
Data Backup Day – May 1
Don’t forget that the first day of each month has been designated as Data Backup Day – and here are some great resources to get you started. Post about how you backup your data (or don’t backup your data) and we’ll carry your post here at GeneaBloggers on May 1st!
The April 2012 Scanfest will take place at AnceStories on Sunday, April 29, 2012, from 11 AM to 2 PM, Pacific Standard Time.
Scanfest may be a new term for some of my new readers. What is Scanfest? It’s a time when geneabloggers, family historians, and family archivists meet online here at this blog to chat while they scan their precious family document and photos. Why? Because, quite honestly, scanning is time-consuming and boring!
Scanfest is a great time to “meet” other genealogists, ask questions about scanning and preservation, and get the kick in the pants we all need on starting those massive scanning projects that just seem too overwhelming to begin.
Daze of the Week!
Some of you may have noticed that in each Genealogy Blogging Beat we now feature national holidays and some of the more offbeat holidays. Here are some dates next week to look out for so you can plan your blog posts for next week:
- April 27: Tell a Story Day
- April 28: Admission Day (US – MD), Astronomy Day, Buddha’s Birthday, Eeyore’s Birthday
- April 29: Arbor Day (US), National Hairball Awareness Day (US), World Dance Day
- April 30: Admission Day (US – LA), Bugs Bunny Day, Walpurgis Night
- May 1: Beltane, Labour Day, May Day, Moving Day (US – NY)
- May 2: Roberts Rules of Order Day
- May 3: National Day of Prayer (US), National Two-Different Colored Shoes Day (US)
- May 4: Star Wars Day
Genealogy Webinars This Week
For more information on genealogy webinars check out GeneaWebinars.
Appearances By GeneaBloggers Members
For a listing of speaking engagements by genealogy bloggers, along with their profiles and available presentations, visit GeneaSpeak.
GeneaBloggers on Facebook
Check out the Facebook page for GeneaBloggers (http://www.facebook.com/Geneabloggers) and click LIKE in order to follow the latest news and events related to GeneaBloggers on Facebook.
52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy
52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and family historians to highlight those genealogy resources for which they are thankful. This is also a way to mention a favorite site or tool to others and if you don’t already utilize that resource, you’ll be able to follow the blog posts that help you understand why the resource is important!
You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.
- Week 18: Historical Books: This week we’re going to shine the spotlight on other historical books that benefit the genealogy field. Do you have a favorite book that falls in this category? What makes this book special to you? How can other genealogists benefit from its content?
This week’s prompt runs from Sunday, April 29 through Saturday, May 5, 2012.
And don’t forget to check out other upcoming events at the Geneabloggers Calendar. This is the same Google calendar that has been in existence for quite some time. And if you subscribe to the calendar you’ll receive email reminders of events.
© 2012 copyright, Thomas MacEntee