There is some very interesting data coming out of this study including the following facts:
- 1 in 10 internet users has their own blog. This means there must be about 30 million blogs in the United States.
- The percentage of users over the age of 30 who maintain a blog is now at 11 % (in 2009) while it was 7% in 2007.
- The rapid rise of social media including Twitter and Facebook may explain why the appeal of blogging has declined for those under the age of 30.
- Young folk have become accustomed to the “brevity” inherent with Twitter and status updates. Over 50% of them now access the Internet via mobile device.
- But a backlash with the 140-character limit may be growing: sites such as Tumblr and Posterous are becoming more popular for creating quick and easy blogs that offer more characters and more personalization options.
© 2010, copyright Thomas MacEntee