Back on 15 December 2014, I made a big announcement: I was getting rid of 20 years of past genealogy research and starting over. Some people said I was crazy. Some people said the idea was just “stupid” and wasteful.
But almost 6,000 genealogists and family historians have either been actively participating in this crazy project or have followed it over at the Genealogy Do-Over Facebook Group. Many have said that they finally have a methodology and format for research that they can live with AND that can bring them results.
Still more have taken the collaborative effort to heart and have shared their own work, their own templates as well as tips and tricks. The Genealogy Do-Over has been as close to a “genealogy hack-athon” and an exercise in group problem solving as I could want.
I want to thank . . .
- everyone who has stuck it out to the end of Week 13;
- everyone who admitted they needed more time and made the 13-week schedule work for them;
- those who simply followed discussions and promised they’d join in for Cycle 2;
- those who didn’t want to do a complete “do-over” so development a review of their previous research;
- every vendor who offered a special discount coupon or free item for participants; and
- everyone who helped spread the word and took time to explain the craziness that is the Genealogy Do-Over
Cycle 2 – Genealogy Do-Over
So we start again tomorrow, Friday, 3 April 2015 back at Week 1. To get ready, here are some things you can do, whether you are a repeat participant from Cycle 1 or brand new with Cycle 2:
- Read the original announcement from 15 December that outline what motivated me to create the Genealogy Do-Over
- Review the Schedule of Topics for Cycle 2 here
- Read the post Genealogy Do-Over: Slow Down, You Move Too Fast! for reassurance that you won’t be overwhelmed by the 13-week course
- Join the Genealogy Do-Over Facebook Group and please review the READ THIS FIRST post at the top of the page
- Visit the Genealogy Do-Over Resource Page at Bag The Web and add it to your bookmarks and favorites
- Look for the “Introduce Yourself” post at the Facebook Group for Cycle 2 – say hello to everyone!
- Sign up for the email list here to receive each week’s topic info vial e-mail
I will be actively participating in Cycle 2 as well since due to family illnesses and responsibilities, I did not get to post my progress as I wanted to during Cycle 1.
* * *
So stay tuned, bookmark http://www.genealogydo-over.com and watch for the Week 1 post on Friday 3 April 2015!
©2015, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.