Below is the list of topics to be covered during the Genealogy Do-Over beginning 2 January 2015. As you review the topics please keep these things in mind:
- This is a curated list based on a) my own experience as a genealogist, b) my experience as a genealogy educator, and c) information gathered from other genealogists online and in attendance at offline conferences and workshops.
- The list is representative, in my opinion, of core areas of aptitude required for basic successful genealogical research. Your mileage may differ . . . meaning that your research habits and specific research projects may warrant different areas of concentration in terms of skill building.
- Participants (and viewers) may agree or disagree with the topics or the order of the topics; feel free to add or remove topics that you feel are not relevant to your specific genealogy research project.
- Each week, a post will appear here at GeneaBloggers covering the Genealogy Do-Over topics. Posts will include tips, advice and resources.
Genealogy Do-Over Facebook Group and More
An interactive collaborative community for the Genealogy Do-Over has been created on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/genealogydoover/. Those hoping to participate in the Genealogy Do-Over, and those just monitoring the group’s progress, are encouraged to join. Just like the entire Genealogy Do-Over program, there is no fee or “upcharge” for this collaborative environment.
Over the next week look for more added features to help you succeed in your Genealogy Do-Over.
Genealogy Do-Over Topics
Week 1 – 2-8 January 2015
- Setting Previous Research Aside
- Preparing to Research
- Establishing Base Practices and Guidelines
Week 2 – 9-15 January 2015
- Setting Research Goals
- Conducting Self Interview
- Conducting Family Interviews
Week 3 – 16-22 January 2015
- Tracking Research
- Conducting Research
Week 4 – 23-29 January 2015
- Managing Projects and Tasks
- Tracking Searches
Week 5 – 30 January-5 February 2015
- Building a Research Toolbox
- Citing Sources
Week 6 – 6-12 February 2015
- Evaluating Evidence
- Reviewing Online Education Options
Week 7 – 13-19 February 2015
- Reviewing Genealogy Database Software
- Digitizing Photos and Documents
Week 8 – 20-26 February 2015
- Conducting Collateral Research
- Reviewing Offline Education Options
Week 9 – 27 February-5 March 2015
- Conducting Cluster Research
- Organizing Research Materials – Documents and Photos
Week 10 – 6-12 March 2015
- Reviewing DNA Testing Options
- Organizing Research Materials – Digital
Week 11 – 13-19 March 2015
- Reviewing Social Media Options
- Building a Research Network
Week 12 – 20-26 March 2015
- Sharing Research
- Reviewing Research Travel Options
Week 13 – 27 March-3 April 2015
- Securing Research Data
- Reviewing the Journey
©2014, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.